• You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features.

By joining our free internet marketing community you will have access to post in our directory, post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features.

Registration is fast, simple and completely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

To Republish Older Content Or Not

Joe

Respected Contributor
Dec 31, 1969
USA
what-to-do-to-make-money.com
Just read an interesting article about updating & republishing older blog content. Looks like the results were positive in this case, but I can certainly see that it can be overdone.

You can read it here: Login or Register to View This link;

I have no relationship with the article publisher.

What are your views on re-purposing in this way?

cwvps

Jul 16, 2015
cheapwindowsvps.com
This sounds tempting, but I still wouldn't do it. Besides the three reasons against republishing old content, I would also worry about the actuality of the content. (hope "actuality" is the right word).

I think republishing old content works if you are going to re-purpose it or update the facts of your old content. Example: you wrote a blog about stats on social media marketing. Republishing it with updated statistics and information would make the article fresh and clickable.

Oct 3, 2015
Well, it is good to republish the older content by editing it and adding the fresh one with updated info. It will help the viewers to update themselves with the new features of your business and to show their interest within your business once again. This is a good strategy to attract more customers towards your business within an instant.

Oct 3, 2015
Republishing old content is not a good idea as it violates the rules of Google algorithm. It will act like duplicacy. May be for some time it generates traffic towards a website but it won't be effective for long term.

I'd like to believe that republishing a content would only be justified if it would be updated so that content quality would be better. Other reason that I thought for republishing an old content would be if the content is timely. Say for example, Thanksgiving is coming and a publisher wants to update and re-publish his/her successful content about Thanksgiving last year.

Joe

Respected Contributor
Dec 31, 1969
USA
what-to-do-to-make-money.com
I agree that re-publishing content without changing it is not a good idea. Updating content to keep if fresh is. I think a valid way of re-purposing existing content though is to publish it in a different form. For instance, take a blog post & turn it into a video.

Nov 23, 2015
If you would be interested in publishing content that you have published three to five months before than you can rewrite your old content or update titles.

Nov 23, 2015
Login or Register to View This link;
When you do rewrite your content I recommend that you don't just say the same thing in different order. That's akin to spinning content. Most article directories spot that fast these days. Always add some fresh information that has helpful value.
I agree with your opinion. Thank you!

I've been doing exactly that over the last month.

About a year ago I wrote a 98-page guide to a certain internet-marketing method. I tried working with someone who said hey'd marketing it, but who turned out not to be reliable, so the guide was not sold apart from a small test. Then the affiliate-program I'd based the guide around, changed their rules, making that specific approach no longer viable (which is a shame, because it was one of the easiest ways to make long-term money online).

Since that guide was no longer about something which would work now, I would not publish it any more, but instead I split that guide into several others, changing the details to make them currently applicable, and adding new material. I now have 7 guides all derived to some extent from the content of that one. One of them, a 45-page guide on SEO, made a profit within a few days last week, and will make more income long-term. Learning from the results I got from the SEO-guide, I wrote another guide a few days ago, and have already made 500% profit from that, in about two and a half days, and it should be possible to up-scale that a lot.

I recommend always keeping all data. That includes old content from sites that might not exist any more, old contact-details, notes on websites that you might not have visited for years, methods you read about but didn't test, images you collected on a subject, and anything else. Hard-disk space is so cheap now that it's easy to keep everything. It is important to organize it as well as you can, so that you can find it when you think of it in years to come. Of course, some things go out of date, but a lot of things be certainly be profitably re-used in years to come.

Right now I am making residual income from pieces of music I created many years ago (which was very challenging to sell back then, but very easy now that all you have to do is upload it to a website and get paid) as well as from photos I took on old film cameras, as well as content I wrote in the past.

I am making profits from lots of old creativity today, so, yes, I certainly think it's a good idea :)

Chris

Thanks Joe :)

Unfortunately, the method I wrote the initial big guide about, which was writing high quality product-reports about Amazon products, is no longer viable, since Amazon bans any writing of any kind about any product . . . you are not allowed to quote any buyer, you are not allowed to mention any price (even "this product is about twice as much as the other product, at the time of writing), you are not allowed to mention or even compare user-ratings, without using their API, and you are not allowed to generalize or summarize. So in practice, you cannot write a product-report at all now. Which is a great shame, and I think, a really stupid move on the part of Amazon, because now no-one can add any value nor help anyone make a good buying decision, only use exact copies of data already on Amazon.

So yes, I would not be willing to sell a guide about a method which no longer works, even though plenty of other people are still making good money selling guides about things which will get you banned from Amazon . . . that's not my style :)

So it made sense to break up the guide into several smaller ones . . . I've made a profit doing that, as well as from writing new guides as well,and I'm currently learning about doing a bigger launch process, as well as getting more list-members by using social-media strategies (which I think has a lot of potential!).

Chris

ebookmyseat

Oct 13, 2018
Lots of content you write is timeless. One year from now this article about republishing old content will still be as valid as it is today. Still, if you don’t share it or talk about it, very few people will notice it. A way to make sure your content won’t be forgotten is to republish it. But what’s a smart strategy for that? You don’t want to annoy your audience with old news. In this post, I’ll talk you through different ways to republish your old content.