What programs do you use to edit images?

Discussion in 'Graphics & Multi-Media' started by ic3squid, Jul 28, 2014.

1. ic3squid

ic3squid Thread Starter New Member

Let's say you had a client that asked you to change the background and features of an image, what programs would you use in order to do that?

2. rgrimes

rgrimes New Member

I would primarily use Adobe Photoshop, I would also use GIMP to make a few tweaks and final changes to the image.

3. CatDesign

CatDesign Member

I would use Photoshop for that and if I had to do multiple images I would use Lightroom to keep them organized and do any kind of raw edits, or any global edits that I want applied to all images.

4. ic3squid

ic3squid Thread Starter New Member

Does lightroom cost any money? or is it free to use, and is it open source software? Is lightroom a very advanced software only available to experienced users or is it usable for everyone.

Thanks

5. CatDesign

CatDesign Member

Lightroom is an Adobe product, the full name is Adobe Photoshop Lightroom. It's commercial so it does cost money. You can get Lightroom in the Creative Cloud, the photography plan (Photoshop plus Lightroom) is 9.99 and the full Creative Cloud is 49.99 a month. You can also buy it standalone for $150.

Lightroom is easy to use, but has many features so you might need a tutorial to get started. It's mostly for photographers. You use it to import images, organize them in collections, and apply global edits (like exposure, color balance, noise reduction, etc) and some local ones (you can make the same global adjustments locally with a brush, you can also do basic healing and other edits), and then you can export the images or open them in Photoshop for more advanced edits. You can use it to add watermarks to a big group of images really easy during the export.

The way Lightroom works is different from Photoshop. The edits are not applied directly to the image, but are written in an xmp file the same way Camera Raw works. But you can also edit other types of images this way, not just raw files. There are no layers in Lightroom. Lightroom is not a replacement for Photoshop, it's a companion.

I started using it for photography but it's also useful for graphic designers or retouchers if they must edit lots of images, even if they didn't took those images. It's specially useful if the images are raw files. For people who do mostly web design it might not be useful if all your images are client supplied and you don't need to edit them.

6. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis Active Member

CS5 is just one part of a suite of programs, many professions use it, forensic scientists, medical imaging, magazine editors, artists and illustrators (Photoshop was originally a painting program), video editors (particularly applying effects), rostrum cameramen, it's a very broad spectrum, some of the more esoteric tools are only available in the Extended version.

Those that don't edit their images are only scratching the surface of whats possible.

7. Christian037

Christian037 New Member

Image editing programs :
    ANI, CUR, B3D, BMP, DIB, CAM, CLP, CPT, CRW, CR2, DCM, IMA, DCX, DDS, DJVU, IW44, DXF, DWG, HPGL, CGM, SVG, ECW, EMF, EPS, PS, PDF, FITS, FPX, FSH, G3, GIF, HDR, ICL, EXE, DLL, ICO, ICS, IFF, LBM, IMG, JP2, JPC, JPG, JPEG, JPM, KDC, LDF, LWF, PICT, QTIF, MNG, JNG, MrSID, SID, DNG, EEF, NEF, MRW, ORF, RAF, DCR, SRF, PEF, X3F, NLM, NOL, NGG, PBM, PCD, PCX, PGM, PIC, PNG, PPM, PSD, PSP, RAS, SUN, RAW, RLE, SFF, SFW, SGI, RGB, SWF, TGA, TIF, TIFF, TTF, TXT, WAS, WAL, WBMP, WMF, XBM, XPM,

8. Eskeyp

Eskeyp Junior Member

I use Photoshop and ACDSee, it is enough

9. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis Active Member

I've just used Microsoft Photo Manager. To me, the text of the story takes priority.

10. nidhish01

nidhish01 New Member

I use Photoshop to edit images, as it provides great quality effects with superb color adjustment tools.

11. chris-

chris- Senior Member

Images can be split into two different approaches . . . vector and bitmap.

Bitmap is things like photographs, which are composed of large numbers of pixels.

Vector is things like text, shapes filled with solid colors etc.

To do effective design, you need to work with both, because they have different approaches.

The standard software is Photoshop for bitmap, Illustrator for Vector.

Free alternatives include GimpShop for a free alternative to Photoshop with a similar interface, or Gimp if you are not familiar with Photoshop (Gimp is updated better than GimpShop). And Inkscape for Vector. Those free alternatives are very good.

Another area of image design is 3D. This is a lot more challenging, but the stunning results can be worth it.

Blender is a fully-capable free 3D software, and can produce amazing results, but is likely to take some time to learn.

For all of this, if you're no experienced with the software, it can make more sense just to pay an outsource worker, such as from Fiverr or UpWork, where you can get good work done very cost-effectively.

Chris

12. MrPRinson

MrPRinson New Member

Photoshop... you duplicate the background, and start editing without any problem.
    What program are you currently using?

13. RH-Calvin

RH-Calvin New Member

Photoshop is the most preferred one that I use often. I have used it from the beginning to design my website and logo.