What is standard size of WEB PAGE?

Discussion in 'HTML & Web Design' started by SimpsonTisdale, Dec 8, 2011.

1. SimpsonTisdale

SimpsonTisdale Thread Starter Active Member

I am actually new in the designing field and doing some courses so i have been assigned a project to test the skills.

2. annabelle07

annabelle07 Active Member

I know how much content typically goes on a web page - approx 400 words :) Hope that helps in a vague way...

3. Delois

Delois Senior Member

I do not think there is any certain criteria in defining the size of the web page as it depends on the client requirement as well and the space you have bought from your hosting provider. A page with full of high quality images can have a large file size compare to one with compressed images. It is good practice to reduce the size as possible as it will get loaded quickly.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  4. suzaneramin

suzaneramin Active Member

What i used to follow in is 1024*768. Web Page Design whether it's a personal page or a business page, you definitely want to convey your information in a clear and in easy to get to manner that provides your visitors with a pleasant experience. So apart from the size of page you also need to be very careful for other factors too.
    All the Best for your Project!

5. VinGaeta

VinGaeta New Member

hey Simpson,

I tend to stick to a 960 grid when designing for a website. It'll fit on most of the smaller screens and still looks great on bigger resolutions. I've been reading that a 978 grid might be a better though, but that's completely up to the designer. For more information check out this link, http://webdesignerwall.com/trends/960-grid-system-is-getting-old. Hope that was helpful!

Vin

6. h4v0c6

h4v0c6 Junior Member

I agree with VinGaeta. The 960 grid is very flexible when designing your site. It scales very well for all media. However, I don't have any experience with the 978 grid.

7. okayo0

okayo0 Active Member

Screen resolution is meaningless. Just because a person's screen resolution is set at a certain size does not under any circumstances whatsoever mean that their browser will occupy that entire space. As a general rule of thumb, a 750px wide "canvas" is still the default "minimum width" for most people; senior citizens, for example, tend to use 800x600 as their default screen resolution, since it's easier on their eyes (they don't have to resize the text very much - and most of them probably don't know how to anyway, which is why including a text size stylesheet switcher helps improve the usability and accessibility of Web sites for this particular demographic - as well as those with poor vision such as myself) and will also likely have their browser maximized as well.

Tech-savvy people, on the other hand, will likely be running large 19 or 21 inch monitors with their screen resolutions set to 1280x1024 or 1600x1200, will know how to set their dpi settings to either 96 (Windows)/70 (*nix) or 120 (Windows)/100 (*nix). These people will also probably be used to having several programs open at once, including their browser and chat applications, as well as other programs. Basing your canvas size on screen resolutions, therefore, may force horizontal scrollbars to appear for these users if you use it as a measuring stick. Even some people (such as myself) will have their screen resolutions set to 1024x768 yet have only 800px or so available for the browser, leaving the rest of the available real estate open for other programs, or even easy access to the program shortcuts on the desktop.

-----------------------------------------------

Repair-Dll

8. Kevin Martyn

Kevin Martyn Active Member

There are a few schools of thought on this question.

Nowadays with the advent of widescreen monitors you could have exceptionally wide webpages but this would pose two main problems.

First: if someone visited your site who had a much smaller or older monitor they would not be able to see the full width of your page without using the horizontal scroll-bars, and horizontal scroll-bars something you should never see!

Second: and this is far more important, if your page is too wide you will find it difficult to focus your visitor attention on a specific outcome as there eye will be drawn and distracted. Your objective should be to get their eyes to follow a process which leads them to your most wanted outcome.

When you learn to do this successfully your bank account will start to grow.

Remember that the first thing they see when they come to your website is the most important, too experienced web marketers this is called above the fold so use this valuable real estate wisely. My advice to you is to make sure that your webpage is no wider than 900 pixels. This will almost guarantee that most of your visitors will see your page as you want them to see it, although there will always be odd exceptions.

As far as length of pages concerned it needs to be as long as it takes you to tell your story and make your visitor purchase or outcome receptive.

The only people who complain about a page being too long are those people who would not be relevant targets for your product or service. Anyone who is serious about buying your product or service will generally read every word which is written.

I hope this is helpful?

Kind regards

Kevin

9. cbrauer

cbrauer Member

Due to the HD "flat screen craze" now being standard most browsers will adjust to to display sites correctly. I have used up to 1280×800 and it seems to work fine. If you have low quality graphics and low res images stick with a smaller size like 1024 x 768. Even on a 15 inch monitor 1024 x 768 would look fine. as far as standard goes there is none. The overall design is up to the designer, just keep in mind not everyone has a 22 inch monitor.

10. bestbvs

bestbvs Active Member

Most used is 1024x768 but I like 800x600

11. lillianabe

lillianabe Senior Member

There is no certain criteria or standard format of web page size. As per my knowledge it depends on webmaster’s requirement and web hosting space. It is an important to use low size image and necessary content in a webpage which will help to decrease website loading time.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  12. Dennis Zocco

Dennis Zocco Active Member

I really don't know and I'm now curious about it since I am fond of creating websites.

13. komfortgphotel

komfortgphotel Senior Member

Standard size for webpages is 1024x768 but A designer can set size for webpages according to situations.

14. Ashley51

Ashley51 Member

It depends on you that what kind of services you are going to provide on your page. Normally 1024x768 will be good.

15. SteveTO

SteveTO Member

Not sure if this was covered before but: Designers, stop thinking about screen sizes! This is an old school thinking that will push back into the dark ages of the interwebs :D

10 years ago, it was 800x600, then 1024x768... today? Well, do yourself a favor and look up "responsive web" on google. This is the ticket. Design the site so it looks great on larger 16:9 screens but is also functional on ipads and smart phones (JS to reduce image sizes and convert navigation to a select menu)... I think that's the future. Because without this, you'll be producing a CSS for IE7/8, IE9/10, Mozilla browsers, tablets and smartphones... :)

16. Alexhudson

Alexhudson Senior Member

In any of the standard web page size you may place 400 - 500 words of content and if you are implementing search engine optimization into your business website design service site's content then don't place more than two times that same business keyword.

17. js761949

js761949 Active Member

Its really good discussion which is too informative so thanks for sharing with us.

18. kaufenpreis

kaufenpreis Active Member

A page with full of high quality images can have a large file size compare to one with compressed images.

19. stevenhenry018

there is no standard size of webpage but 960 * 1024 is commonly used by all.